Saturday, May 12, 2007

 

Cooking Up A Storm

Do you know that saying, don't experiment with cooking when you have company coming over? I didn't head that warning. I slaved away in the kitchen all day to prepare my mother a Mexican luncheon, but don't have much to show for my efforts.

ENCHILADAS
I made beef enchiladas by the boat loads. I tried a new enchilada sauce recipe (bad idea), but it didn't come out the flavor I expected. However, when I put the fixings together, the combination wasn't bad. Since I was going through all the labor of love, I froze half in casserole tins for later I-am-to-tired-to-cook meals.

SALSA

I also made homemade salsa -- my first ever successful batch. Mine always came out watery. This time I used fresh ingredients and cooked them before putting in the blender. Although I think the blender purees too well. It still taste good. I used serranos instead of jalepenos. Man! Get me the waterhose!

QUESO DIP

This was a complete flop. I accidentally covered the pot and walked away from the stove. Although it was on very low heat, it still bubbled over. What a complete mess on the stove and then cleaning the pot was another story. I usually make queso in a slow cooker, by throwing Velveta, Rotel Tomatoes, and a splash of milk a few hours before an event. BUT NO! I had to try a new recipe. What a $5 waste of money. It wasn't the recipe's fault. I turned my back on it while it was simmering.

ICE CREAM

Then I made a blackberry custard so I can put it in out new electric ice cream maker. This is the first time I made ice cream ever. It was also the first time I used my KitchenAid standing mixer. I had to go online to look up how to set up the mixing paddle and bowl. I already had put the milk and sugar over the heat. What wonderful timing to try to figure out how to use an appliance.

Four hours later, the custard is still isn't thickening. Backup plan, homemade peach cobbler. Thank goodness I bought frozen peaches and can make a mean cobbler in no time. YES, we have store bought vanilla ice cream. I bet you my guest are going to want the vanilla. Ha!Ha!

CHARRO BEANS

I've never made this side dish either. Started with dried pinto beans. I sorted out all the bad beans. Put the good beans in a pot of cold water. I am soaking the beans over night so no one gets the toots. Ha!Ha! Tomorrow morning, I'll drain the water and put fresh water in. It takes about three hours to cook.

MEXICAN RICE

No new recipe. I'll cook this dish tomorrow an hour before every shows up.


FLOUR TORTILLAS

Heck, after all the cooking, I didn't have the energy to make them from scratch. I went to our grocery store where they make fresh ones in the bakery. I'll heat them before everyone arrives.

GUACAMOLE

Easy to make. I will let Scott handle making it since he has a good recipe.

MARGARITAS

I bought a whole bunch of limes. Tonight I am making "simple syrup". Normally, I go the easy route, but mom specifically asked for it, so it thought I would go through the effort and make it special.

Man! My back and feet are killing me! The problem with making yummy food from scratch is that you get a reputation for making certain dishes and then people always want that dish. I guess I will call it an evening and go soak in a hot bubble bath.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?