Monday, April 02, 2007

 

Neighbor is PG

I have a neighbor who is about 7 months pregnant. Apparently she is nesting. I was outside letting the dogs do their business and heard jack hammer and scraping noise in her kitchen. I looked over and there was some guys breaking the tile in the kitchen/breakfast nook area. When I looked closer, their whole downstairs tile was being pulled up. The house is only 4 years old.

Mentioning nesting...I too have started to get the nesting itch. Now that I knowwe are 10-12 months from getting our referral (WE HOPE). I have been looking at toddler furniture and thinking of ways to decorate the baby room. My mom even said she would buy the furniture. Since I am not sure if we are getting a boy or a girl, one or two, age one or two, we aren't buying furniture right away. But I am thinking of colors for the bedroom. I'm trying to choose a primary color. I then can choose a secondary color when we know the gender. Pottery Barn Kids catalog is a good springboard for ideas. I love their furniture, but not the prices.

I've also been trying to figure out how I am going to stay home for 3 or 4 months after we get our referral. I will have about 2 months of vacation accrued, but will need to save up money for the remaining months I am off. We won't be able to swing it on Scott's salary alone since we have a weekend house mortgage and new boat to pay for. I am not complaining about the purchases. We knew exactly what we were doing and realized they would complicate my yearning to stay home for a few months to help ourselves and our child adjust. I don't think it is fair that women who are pregnant and work in large companies get 12-16 weeks of paid "medical" leave. It isn't as if all new moms have medical issues for that amount of weeks. New moms don't have to take all that time off, but who is going to balk at paid leave and say "oh, I want to come back 3 weeks after giving birth". Perhaps there are a few, but majority of pregnant women I work with take the whole time off, plus ask for additional leave of absence. It isn't fair.

Okay. Enough complaining. I can't do anything about paid medical leave, but at least I have unpaid FMLA for 12 weeks with job security.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?