Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 

Suffering Withdrawal Symptoms

I am starting to feel withdrawal symptoms of quitting unnecessary spending until (if) we close on the house. The other day I went to the JCPenney Salon to get my eyebrows waxed. Eyebrow waxing is a necessity. I work in the corporate world and meet high profile execs as well as customers. Having a unibrow may be detrimental to my career. At the very least, it keeps people from talking behind my back about my lack of grooming habits. The salon I go to is the only place I know in my area where they are open after 6pm. Passing through the store to get to the salon, I saw all these 60% off sales on summer clothing. I had to call my mom for intervention. My hand was starting to shake as it got a mind of its own to reach for the wallet. My legs started knocking as they tried to make me walk toward the sales racks. AHHH!!!

Then today as I was driving to run to pick up office supplies for the department, I was at a red light and saw my favorite fast food joint. I could smell the burgers and fries. I was Jonesing so bad for one, but then remembered that they only take cash. Darn! I had no cash in my purse. I almost pulled over to search the floor for loose change. The light turned green and I had to try and avoid looking over my shoulder as I sped away as fast as the speed limit allowed me to travel.

Scott and I have been really good not spending money. Although we miss going to the movies, going out to eat, and recreational shopping. Although Scott did regress a week ago when he said he mysteriously ended up at the fishing sports store. He says it was like he was in a fog but when the fog lifted he was in the truck, had a bag in his hand which had "goodies" in it, along with a receipt that had his credit card and signature on it.

The most challenging part of trying to save money has been cooking every day. We have been shopping only once a week, but we don't always get what we need for the week because we are not in the habit of planning our meals. Scott and I like to cook, but we both HATE to clean up. There is nothing worse than coming home to a dirty kitchen. We try to clean up as we cook, but we sometimes get sidetracked with TV or surfing the internet on our laptops.

Scott and I also temporarily cancelled our house cleaning and lawn service. The house is getting rather dirty and the backyard is starting to look like a jungle. Ugh! I HATE cleaning the house. I guess this weekend I'll let Scott clean it because he prefers that chore to washing, folding, and ironing clothes. I don't mind doing the laundry, but Scott seems to have a lot of clothes. When I am sorting them I notice ... Scott , Scott, Scott, Scott, mine, Scott, mine, Scott, Scott ... Geez! You have more clothes than a woman! No wonder your clothes are piled mountain high -- you have too many of them.

I have to remember what our goal is ... buying the vacation home. Friday , I'll let you know how the inspection went. We are doing a day trip to Port Lavaca to walk through the inspection. If we are fine with findings, we'll finalize the contract.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?