Saturday, July 08, 2006

 

Been on Vacation

Bet no one missed me :-) It was good to get away. We didn't go far. Okay, so it was a 7 hour drive, but Texas is so big that going over a state line by about 15 miles just doesn't seem like it was far. We went camping at an Arkansas state park called Millwood Lake. It was the only thing we could find that had a week long space available. Can you believe that that all the popular state parks we like to go to in Texas were full?

By
the way, Scott and I rented a pop-up travel camper with air conditioning. So, it really wasn't roughing it. He really missed bringing his fishing boat. I don't think a day passed without him mentioning that he wished he could have brought his fishing boat. Sorry honey. I wouldn't have gone on the trip if I had to sleep in a tent during the middle of a scorching summer.

We were about 50 miles from the Caddo mountains near Lake Ouchita. We packed a picnic lunch and took a day trip out there. They are more like foothills to me, but they have beautiful trees. When I think of mountains, I think of the Rocky Mountains. Still very breath taking scenary. I've haven't seen a trout
stream in a long time. Since it was midweek after a holiday, we had the place to ourselves.


Millwood Lake, Ashdown, Arkansas



Me and Heidi walking along the trout stream in Glenwood, AR. I can't believe Heidi kept the bandana on all day.



Wow! The stream is so clear. We had to keep Heidi from jumping in because we didn't want a wet dog in the truck. She nearly dragged me in a few times. The water was really cool. Wish I had brought a bathing suit.






Picnicking on Lake Ouchita. I dropped a chip and Heidi is sniffing it out.


View of Lake Ouchiata from the park bench



The most interesting thing that struck me was the gracious hospitality of the people in the area. I was in a grocery store (which are so small compared to the mega grocery stores we have in the city) and was suprised by all the "hello's" from the local folks. Older men tipped their hats. The people look at you square in the eye and say "good day". There were people in there who knew each other who would stop in the small aisles and talk. I had to turn the cart around to go around through another aisle. No biggie. I wasn't in a hurry. I must have looked a little lost (I think it was shock) because the manager came up to me and asked if I needed help. I told him what I needed and he walked me over to the area where the item was located. When I was finished paying for my groceries, I picked up my bags and took about ten steps when the carrier came running up to me and grabbed them from my arms. He was quite concerned that I was carrying them myself. He apologized for not getting to the counter sooner to help me out.

It is also a slower pace of living. It definately gave fast food a new meaning. We were at this drive-up barbeque place and it took 15 minutes for two brisket sandwiches -- and we were the only ones there. Also the rdrivers were driving slower than the speed limits and they would drive on the shoulder to allow us "fast" folks to pass them.

Scott and I talked about the adoption. We can't believe that sometime in the next year or two we will be sharing camping with our little ray of sunshine.

Next vacation is in October. We rented a house on the beach near Galveston. We rented this house last September to recover emotionally when we lost our son. It was so peaceful that we decided to go back. We invited friends along and their two young sons age 10 and 7. Since the kids are in school, they will only be able to visit on the weekend. Scott and his friend will take the boys out on a charter fishing trip. The women folk will stay behind and probably go shopping. Scott gets such a kick out of being around those boys. I know he is hoping we get referred a son. Personally, I am hoping for the tiny chance of getting fraternal twins of a boy and girl.

Comments:
Sounds like an awesome trip. We leave Thursday for a camping trip too. I love camping. Welcome home!
 
How fun - and I love the pictures!

I am so glad that you had a good time - and had time to really anticipate the little one (s) that will be taking over your lives and hearts.

oh and fyi - YOU WERE MISSED!!!
 
Hi there, just found your link to my blog so I've linked back! Thanks! I see we are the same age, and have almost the same LID, we will have to keep in touch!

Good luck with your journey!! :-)

Cora
http://junemakesthree.blogspot.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?