Tuesday, May 16, 2006

 

Leaping Lizards

This is a picture of a little dude I found sunning itself on our patio table earlier this week. Heidi passed this fellow several times and didn't even realize it was watching her. I must have gotten a little too close when I was trying to take a picture because it scampered down the table and up the side of the house. When I took the picture the lizard jumped toward me. Needless to say, I screamed like a girl and almost dropped the camera. Heidi chased this poor thing until it ran up a tree. I think she would have eaten it if she was able to catch it. Gross!

I like to imagine that this guy is the offspring of the lizard I saved a few years ago. It was February and we had a hail storm. The lizard was knocked out of its winter hibernation spot and onto the ground. I put the lizard in a box. I would take it out and put it in a safe sunny spot during the day and bring it in at night. About four weeks later, I came home to empty box.

My husband says I have a really soft heart for many of our lawn critters. He laughs when I tell the gardeners to be careful cleaning the flower beds and to not hurt the toads. Hey! They eat the bad bugs! I also put the worms back onto the grass and mulch when they get flooded out after a rainstorm and washed on the driveway or sidewalk. Whenever we have a bird knock itself senseless from running into a window, I'll nurse it for a few hours while it recovers.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?