Wednesday, April 26, 2006

 

Grocery Shopping...bought a Barbie?


I went in for a few things: dog food...check. sugar-free fudge pops...check. gallon of milk...check. half and half for coffee...check. Chinese New Year Barbie...ummm....how did that end up in my basket?

I should have bought two (since we hope for twins or siblings), but at $20 a pop, it would have cost more than the few grocery items I needed. " Damn the boutique grocery stores for putting enticing goodies by the frozen food aisles!" (I am not kidding). At my local super grocery store chain, they put the toys across from the frozen food aisle because they know busy parents shop in that area for Orida fries, Hot Pockets, and ice cream!

But Chinese New Year Barbie is absolutely beautiful! Well, we know over the years, Mattel will come up with other "Chinese New Year" or "Chinese" Barbies and we will purchase a few more. Not that referrals are THAT long, but the container says for 6+ years. We will hold on to them and present the Barbies to our daughter(s) as a gift. Scott was thinking maybe we should save them for their "quinceneda". This means sweet fifteen in Spanish. We plan on giving our daughter(s) a sweet 15 in honor of their Mexican/Spanish heritage. [So they can be more confused than they may be at that age. You know what? At least my girl(s) will be able to dance a Chinese folk dance, a Texas two-step, a Cajun waltz and a Mexican tango !]

Getting back to the real topic at hand. Scott says, go buy another one and if we get one child, we can sell the extras. So, next paycheck, I'll go back to the supermarket and buy another one. If you are in the Austin, TX or Carmel, CA area and want me to buy one, I may be bribed. Of course, if you live in CA you won't get it until we visit Carmel which will be either in July or December of this year. But a good home made dinner or outdoor grilling may bring down the price (GRIN). Oh! Okay. No bribing necessary because you can also go buy it at Wal-Mart.Com.

Lori, Scott and I are purchasing one for you as a gift. [ Lori, her husband, and son, received their I-171H yesterday! Yipee! Scott and I are s-o-o-o-o happy for y'all!!! Congratulations!! ]

What is strange about this Barbie doll is the eyes are hazel, not dark brown. The skin is really light. Her hair is jet black. She has really long "Barbie" legs. The doll is really a "doll". I hope my daughter doesn't get a complex about Chinese Barbie (sound famililar??) I think this thought occurs to all parents who buy their child a Barbie.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?