Wednesday, March 15, 2006

 

Saving Money

I've been reading the following websites to save money

The Dollar Stretcher
Frugal Living on About.Com
Miserly Moms


I had a candid talk with Scott about staying home with the children. He doesn't think I should since I detest housework. He reminded me I would rather have a root canal than cleaning a house. (Which is why we have a house cleaning service visit our house every few weeks). He said maybe working part time where I only take off 1 day a week or full-time where I spread the 5th day into a long weekend (Friday-Sunday for a 2.5 hours a day).

He did agree we should put money away to save for me to stay home for three months so our child could bond. He did reminded me what happened in 2000. I stayed at home (with no kids) for 5 months. He finally asked me to go find a job because I wasn't a good housekeeper. [Really, I wasn't. I wasn't organized at all] I have a question for Stay-At-Home Moms. Iis it possible to use a day planner and be able to keep the house neat as men like it or is it a pipe dream? I think when a child is involved, the neat house goes out the window.

Again, I see the fork in the road. Honestly, I think I'll take the vacation and 12 weeks unpaid family leave and then go back to work. I probably will sob as I drive to work my first day back (as I have heard every other woman in my company tell me) and get back into the scheme of things. I have my reasons.

I grew up poor and I didn't know it...until I couldn't go on certain trips with the rest of my friends. Furthermore, mom told me it was a hardship for me to be in extra curricular activities. Every summer I had to have garage sales and bake sales as well as save up baby sitting money to pay for uniforms and camps. I wasn't able to work in retail jobs because I didn't have a car and mom needed me to take care of my brother.

I think I found out why I don't want to stay at home. I really like my lifestyle. I never went on vacations growing up. I was really embarrassed about growing up in the "barrio". I like living in a nicer neighborhood and nicer house than I grew up in.

By the way, our lifestyle is a middle ground. Scott grew up in a very wealthy step-family who doesn't wish to share the wealth and I grew up in a very poor family who doesn't have anything to share. I'm not saying his family isn't a caring, loving people. We are just opposites in our famiy upbringing. His family had a house in Pebble Beach and my family had...well,we were lucky to have a roof over our head, but it was without central air or heat [Man! That house was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. ]

Decisions, Decisions.

Comments:
As you say, it has to be your decision. But, as you've pointed out:

1) it can only get messier with a kid (which is true)
2) can't change your stripes.

(as neat as guys? - ahem! Not me!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?