Thursday, March 23, 2006

 

I made a decision

The executive administrator our VP had chosen, chose to accept a counter offer from her employer. I can't think of anyone better for the job than that person. It is difficult to fill a position at that level. After some thought, I realized I have done the job very well. There has been some struggle because I am doing two jobs. This afternoon, I told the VP, I want to be her executive adminsitrator.

I struggled internally for a while about this. However, I WROTE the job requisition and I did specify what type of person the VP should be looking for to make the VP successful. I originally had self doubts because I came into such a chaotic situation. The VP's calendar was a mess with 12 hour days and she didn't have good relationships with outside departments. I have been able to get it under control by managing her time and pushing back diplomatically as well as saying the occassional "no" on her behalf. If I didn't have two jobs I may actually work 8-5pm.

She was pleasantly surprised. She had reservations because a few months ago I had said "no" to the idea of moving me into the position. I said no because I was scared of failing. I had based my opionion on "Ms. Exec Admin". I can't believe I was pursuaded by someone elses opinion and the fact they were failing horribly at the job. It wasn't like me. I usually am open minded.

I am very happy with my decision because I have seen the synergy of the team get better since I've taken charge of many task. Task which were never taken care of by the previous EA. I even had a few manager from California tell me they are really glad to have me helping the VP who is now more available to speak to them.

I've been to talk to and meet execs and employees as well as partners from other areas. That is so cool knowing people outside the department.

Oh! Not that my head is swelling, but I really was flattered. I had an EA to a director ask me for my opinion on a e-mail she was writing to the team. I don't even think I write that well! Which is why I blog. I need to write more often if I want to improve my writing skills. Hmmm... Maybe I should start a blog with my target audience being administrators, clerks and secretaries?


I-600A Update:

Still, no fingerprint appointment in the mail :-(

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?