Tuesday, February 14, 2006

 

Homestudy at GWCA for Approval

Our homestudy was sent to us Monday evening. Scott and I made the corrections and e-mailed them back to our SW that evening. Our SW e-mailed it to GWCA for final proofing and approval this morning. I believe it takes approximately ten business days to proof and approve.

The one thing I haven't mentioned is Scott and I are requesting non-twin siblings in addition to twins. We know siblings are even more rare than twins. We also are open to either gender with minor correctable health conditions, but want as healthy as possible. Basically, we are asking "them" to surprise us. Yes, Yes. We know there is a high probability we will get one girl. It doesn't hurt to ask.

An adoption experience from a fellow blogger, was brought up at his adoption meet-up. It wasn't HIS adoption experience, but what he witnessed while in China. A few adoptive parents from his small group found out they had SN children. I won't go into detail because it is archived on his blog. The topic of SN had me thinking.

First, let me start with saying my brother is severely mentally and physically challenged. He was born with a translocated chromosome (also called unbalanced carrier). I happened to be a balanced carrier. Meaning, I'm not effected, but can pass it on to my children. I've known I could have an effected child since I understood the birds and the bees. It was not hidden from me. I knew the risk we were taking when Scott and I attempted to have our own biological child. Our first attempt at children resulted in a loss due to the fetus (a boy) having this genetic condition.

When I was growing up, my family didn't know the severity of the conditions an unbalanced chromosome would cause. My mother told me I could have a child missing a foot or arm. The child may be blind or deaf. So, I've grown up with this expectation. I told myself I could handle it because my brother's situation is so much worse.

When Scott and I were dating and contemplating getting engaged. I wanted him to know what it means to have a child with me. I didn't want to hide anything. I also wanted to learn more since science had made so many advances. So we sat down with the geneticist who I counseled with when I was a child. (By the way, she is big time famous now). I learned that the outcomes of a full term successful pregnancy with an unbalanced chromosome child would be severe to very severe mental and physical challenges . There were no "mild" cases.

Getting back to what I really wanted to write about. Would Scott and I take an SN child if we got to China and found out there was a problem with our so called "healthy" referral?. The whole reason we were adopting was because we wanted a healthy child. Its a tough question we can't really answer. I am leaning toward saying yes because it isn't as severe as what my biological alternative would have been.

Comments:
Sn is such a big term, it's hard to decide thinking about everything! I know that when I eventually adopt (many moons from now, haha) I would certainly consider children with a variety of special needs. One thing I am not sure about would be developmental needs. I spent quite some time working at a school for autistic and PDD children, and I loved them, but I am not sure if I would be able to handle that as a mother- i think it would be somewhat overwhelming for me personally.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?