Tuesday, January 24, 2006

 

Types Of Music I Like

I'm into the 80's pop music. I may hide my real identity behind the name AndieG, but I am not afraid to say I am 35 years old, born in 1970. Suprisingly, I wasn't aware rock or pop existed until I was 14 years old when there was this all day outdoor school fitness day the first month of a school year. They had a DJ play music. I really wasn't paying attention until I heard the song from Footloose called Let's Here It for the Boy by Denise Williams. I was hooked.

I grew up on ranchero (Mexican style music) and country. My world was confined. We lived in the country where we didn't have cable and my parents had 8-track and cassette tapes. After hearing pop, my parents said I hit puberty.

As a mature woman, I can say I have became my parents. I love oldies. I was cracking Scott up by listening to Air Supply "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All". Now this song was prior to 1984, but I heard it on the movie Mr & Mrs Smith and had to go to i-Tunes and buy it. [Yes, I own an i-pod]

I am fond of the 80's, but I really like all kinds of music. The genre I have downloaded from i-Tunes ranges from Spanish pop to music from Kelly Clarkson.

I really don't listen to the words of songs. I am more into the beat and rhythm. However, Scott has a tendancy to "Weird Al Yankovic" a song. Then, I can never listen to the song again because all I can think about are the changed lyrics. For example. La Bouche's Be My Lover. Scott sings the lyrics "beat my blubber". That song will never be the same again!

Right now,I'm listening to Pat Benatar, We Belong. I really don't have a favorite artist or song, but Scott makes a gagging sound when I ask if I can play an ABBA song. I can't help it if my freshman year of college that my roommate was a senior from Europe! I had to grow up fast!

I think it is cool to listen to music before it hits mainstream America. I remember in college when I heard a song from Rozalla named "Everybody's Free To Feel Good". A friend of mine went to The Netherlands for a week on a school sponsored trip and brought that song back. I heard it about a year later in night clubs around Dallas/Ft.Worth. Then in 1993, I went to a wedding in Mexico. The night before the wedding, all us young folks went to a Mexican night club. We heard and learned The Macarena. It was about six months later before it reached the U.S.

Sometimes people say mathematics is the true language. I think it's music.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?