Saturday, January 07, 2006

 

Passports Came In

Today our passports arrived. Wow! That was fast. I mean, we DID pay for expedited service, but we were told it would take 3-4 weeks for expedited service because there was a backlog. We considered regular service, but it would have taken over 6 weeks. I can't believe how small they are. Another hurdle out of the way.

I sent off our employement verifications to California to get them certified. Scott and I work for the same company, but different departments. The company's headquarters are located in California and they have many sister campuses around the world. Before I sent off the verifications, I visited the usps.gov site to see if they had a trackable type envelope, but didn't see anything. I took a chance and put a self addressed 39 cent stamp so the CA state department could send back the certified documents. I am taking a chance, but the post office hasn't lost a single credit card invoice. The bill has always managed to end up in our mailbox at the same time every month.

A little later that day, I was visiting forums.adoption.com China Adoptions and there was a thread saying the expedited mail service has an tracking number. How the heck did I miss that? I must have glossed over the information. I have to send Scott's birthcard to New Orleans to get certified. I am definately using expedited service the return envelope.

I know the birthcard isn't the same as a birth certificate, but I've been waiting forever for his birth certificate. The New Orleans vital records archive is working at a snail's pace because of the limited man power available. I was told by the adoption agency we can create a notarized letter explaining why he doesn't have birth certificate. It can't hurt to try to get the birthcard certified. Hopefully, it won't take too long. I was told 4-5 weeks which in the scheme of things is just another month.

The rest of our documents are from Texas. Fortunately, we live in Austin where the department of state is located. Its just a short drive and about a 2 hour wait.

Comments:
Just FYI, the passport can also serve as proof of citizenship AND birth at the same time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?