Sunday, January 08, 2006

 

Gumbo


Nothing cures the sniffles like a good homemade soup. Last week when I started to feel the onset of cedar pollen allergies I got this hankering for chicken and sausage gumbo. I was hesitant at first considering everytime I make it it doesn't comes out as good as Scott's mom or grandmother's recipe. I had my husband go purchase sausage and chicken. I then slaved at a cutting board for nearly 30 minutes cutting up all the vegetable and then stood over a hot stove for nearly another hour, on a ladder, peering into a huge pot making a roux. The rest of the processes took another hour. Then the soup had to simmer. You can't make gumbo for one meal because of the large amount of time it takes to make this tasty Cajun dish. I don't make gumbo very often because it is a labor of love. This time, it was well worth it. This was the best gumbo I ever made. It exceeded our expectations. Scott commented it could rival his mom and grandmother's gumbo. Since I made such a large amount, I had to freeze the majority of it in meal portion containers.

Scott thinks I'm becoming quite the chef. My Christmas dinner of rib roast, asparagus, homemade rolls, and roasted garlic potatoes came out perfect. Now I have mastered gumbo.


Scott asked what we are having tonight and I replied gumbo!

Comments:
YUMMMMM - gumbo looks good!

I saw you post on the adoption forum and just wanted to say HI as I'm in a similar timeframe - just completed my 2nd homestudy visit. Let's hope we both get through BCIS quickly!

Sandy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?