Monday, December 26, 2005

 

Twas The Night Before Christmas (Eve)

... and my step-mother calls me to tell me my half-sister isn't going to show up for Christmas because her son's grandmother is sick -- sis decided to remain friends with her son's father and family and not get married.

When my step-mother calls me it is always something sad or negative. Either someone died, is sick, or she has something on her mind that she HAS tell me.

After a few minutes of conversation about my sister, my step-mother throws a curve ball and ask "So, why don't you adopt from Mexico instead of China?" Where the heck did that come from? I basically told her that in China, we know we will get a child within 2 years and once we travel to China the child is ours. End of story. Easy and sweet. I didn't see that one coming, believe me. Oh well. I love her and accept the fact she may be a little closed minded. I don't foresee her rejecting our daughter. She is probably concerned how we will explain to our child why she doesn't look like Daddy, Mommy, and the rest of the family.

My father couldn't be happier. I think he does have concerns about how our child will fit into society with parents who look different, but he knows we are capable of handling it. Besides, his great-grandmother was Chinese, so it doesn't bother him too much.

I did let both my father and step-mother know we already know couples within a 5 mile radius of our home who are in the process or have adopted from China. Our child will know other families who have similar experiences.

Comments:
The thing to keep in mind is that "they" don't see themselves as closeminded. And in two years, they will have no recollection of suggesting an alternate adoption once they've fallen in love with their new granddaughter.

I believe I am familiar with this scenario.

And having a great-grandmother Chinese? Hmmm, I wonder if that would qualify for expedited referral? Hmmm.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Johnny,

Unfortunately we aren't able to prove she was of Chinese heritage or born in China. She was born in China, came to America to work, then went to Mexico after the Chinese exclusion act was enforced in 1885. We don't have any pictures or birth records.

Andie
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?