Tuesday, November 29, 2005

 

Mailed In Application

I mailed in our application yesterday 11/28/05. We should hear from GWCA by the end of the week.

I am mailing off the request for DH's birthcard today.

DH told his mom yesterday we were adopting from China. She is very supportive.

Today, I also go pick up my birth certificate from my mom's house. She was visiting family in the town where I was born, so she picked up a few copies of my birth certificate. I told her it was for a passport. On Thanksgiving I told her what my real intention was. I think she is still in shock.

You see, I am Hispanic and my husband is Anglo. My mom and my stepdad's side of family aren't too open to adoption, let alone adopting another ethnicity. When DH and I first started dating my mother and stepdad didn't like him. They do now, but it was an uphill battle. I'm surprised DH stuck by me :-) About three years after meeting each other and the whole family liking him we had a HUGE Hispanic wedding. It was the first large wedding we had in the families, but we wanted it because it proved the family accepted us as a couple.

Anyway, getting back to dear mom. She is in shock and I think she is trying to bite her tongue. She wants a grandchild, but I don't think it was the way she was expecting. She thought we were going to try again for a biological child. If we did adopt, she thought the child would be from Mexico or Central America.

I told mom we were adopting from China because the process is streamlined and predictable. We WILL have a daughter within a certain time frame.

I love mom, but she tends to be closed minded. She was the one who raised me to socialize with all ethnic groups. Why is she so shocked that MY family is blended.

By the way, my biological dad and his family are pretty open minded. My great, great, great Grandmother was Chinese. She went to Mexico during the Chinese Exclusion Act in the late 1800's and married a Mexican. So, I have Spanish, Chinese, Indian, and French background. In the current extended family the grandchildren and great grandchildren are mixed ethnicity of Anglo, Indian, and one family member who has a black child. Grandma loves them all. She doesn't care. She is very progressive for a 90 year "young" lady. She is very happy for DH and I. She hopes she'll be around to see our addition to the family. Of all of her grandchildren (not including great-grandchildren), DH and I are the only ones who don't have kids. There are over 15 of us. YES! That side of the family is rather large.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?